What Is Galantamine?
Marketed under the trade name Razdyne, Galantamine is a plant alkaloid originally derived from snow drops, a type of flower belonging to the Amaryliss family. Researchers have since been able to recreate its chemical structure so Galantamine can be manufactured in a laboratory. Nearly all Galantamine supplements and medications contain synthetic Galantamine.
WHAT IS GALANTAMINE HYDROBROMIDE?
Galantamine hydrobromide is the synthetic form of Galantamine prescribed by doctors as Razdyne. A hydrobromide is simply a compound emerging from the reaction of an organic base (Galantamine) with a hydrobromic acid. Primarily used to make inorganic bromides, hydrobromic acid is found in numerous medicines, including antidepressants such as Celexa.
- What is Galantamine?
- Reminyl ER
- Galantamine Hydrobromide
- Galantamine Powder
- Dosage Guidelines
- Stack with Choline
- Effects on Memory
- Side Effects
- Lucid Dreaming
GALANTAMINE SUPPLEMENTS IMPROVE SYMPTOMS OF ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE
Select plants alkaloids are used to make Galantamine by combining two amino acids–Tyrosine and phenylalanine–to initiate a series of complex chemical interactions. What emerges from this process is a selective acetylcholinesterase inhibitor that prevents the neurotransmitter acetylcholine (ACh) from metabolizing. Acetylcholinesterase is an enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine as soon as ACh enters the synapse, a structure allowing nerve cells to pass electrochemical signals to other nerve cells.
An important neurotransmitter involved in memory and learning, acetylcholine also plays a role in the development of mild to moderate Alzheimer’s disease. Studies show that people suffering AD lack normal levels of acetylcholine in the brain due to the accelerated metabolism of acetycholine. When given Galantamine supplements, Alzheimer’s patients experience improved cognitive functioning as the selective acetylcholinesterase inhibiting properties of Galantamine work to reinforce neuronal transmissions within the brain.
DOES GALANTAMINE IMPROVE SYMPTOMS OF VASCULAR DEMENTIA?
Some research studies indicate that Galantamine supplements may be useful for improving the cognitive and memory abilities of patients with vascular dementia and impaired blood flow to the brain. Vascular dementia symptoms often occur after a stroke destroys an artery in the brain. However, some people suffer vascular dementia as a result of alcoholism, unchecked high blood pressure or other chronic diseases. In addition, a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s may be associated with a series of “mini-strokes” happening over an extended period that the patient nor the patient’s physician is aware of. Consequently, those with Alzheimer’s, vascular dementia or both may experience cognitive and memory improvements by taking Galantamine medication.
5 BENEFITS OF TAKING GALANTAMINE SUPPLEMENTS
1. As a pro-cholinergic (central nervous system) transmission medicine, Galantamine supplements protect and enhance functioning of the nucleus basalis, one of the first areas of the brain affected by Alzheimer’s plaques and tangles.
2. Galantamine may help improve cognitive functioning while slowing the loss of memory and thinking abilities in adults without AD. Although Galantamine cannot cure Alzheimer’s, it may delay the disease’s progression while minimizing behavioral symptoms of AD as well.
3. In addition to being a cognitive enhancer, Galantamine may help people who suffer insomnia fall asleep faster and enjoy a better quality of sleep. By increasing acetylcholine levels in the brain, Galantamine seems to balance other neurotransmitters that regulate sleep, mood and the circadian cycle.
4. In a seminal study of Alzheimer’s patients diagnosed with mild to moderate Alzheimer’s, Galantamine demonstrated mental and physical benefits across specific domains of AD, such as relieving caregiver burden by improving the ability of those with AD to perform more daily living activities independently.
5. Many users of Galantamine supplements report incidences of “lucid dreaming” or having vivid dreams in which they are aware they are dreaming. Since acetylcholine is necessary for REM sleep, it would seem that Galantamine does possess the capacity to enhance REM sleep and lucid dreaming in people who already exhibit good dream recall.
GALANTAMINE SIDE EFFECTS
Most side effects caused by Galantamine are minimal and temporary. Once the body becomes acclimated to Galantamine’s selective acetylcholinesterase inhibiting properties, side effects diminish and eventually disappear.
Some of the more common side effects of taking Galantamine supplements include:
- Upset stomach/stomach ache
- Reduced appetite
Galantamine can be taken with several glasses of water and food to help minimize upset stomach and heartburn.
A very few patients taking Galantamine hydrobromide tablets have reported skin reactions, specifically acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis and Steven-Johnson syndrome. AGEP is a rare reaction to medication that involves the rapid development of nonfollicular pustules and fever. Steven-Johnson syndrome is an even rarer condition in which purplish-red blisters spread rapidly over the skin, causing the skin to die and shed.
Galantamine supplements are available as extended release capsules, in tablet form or as a liquid that can be added to juice or water. Starting with low doses of Galantamine and increasing the dosage every two to three weeks until effects have been optimized is recommended. If you have been prescribed Galantamine, do not stop taking it without first talking to your physician. Take any missed doses as soon as you remember to take them. Do not take a double dose of Galantamine to make up for missed doses. Just wait until it is time to take your next schedule dose.